[vlc-devel] commit: stats-change variable for statistics/ removing stats timer from qt4 interface (Ilkka Ollakka )

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Mon Oct 13 15:42:11 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > - automatic way to get the value associated to an event (in the event
> > callback but also outside it which is really important,
> > and without duplicated code).
>
> An event handler that would not pass the relevant data... I would not dare
> to call that an event handler if it existed :)
 You may want to connect a event listener asynchronously of the emiter creation.
 In such case you have lost the previous events but you may still need the
current values.
 A event handler has to handle that case to be usefull.

> > - event callback in the emiter thread.
>
> I consider this a feature. With that, you can re-act synchronously
> _if_needed_. If you want/need asynchronous handling, you can still do that,
> e.g. with a condition var and a lock. But it is true that synchronous event
> handlers are more prone to shooting one's own foot. Also, in many cases,
> synchronous handling is impossible, especially if it involves User
> Interaction (--> all the audio/video menus).
 For input->intf case, a thread to dispatch events would be really great for
example (of course this should be configurable per emiter).

--
fenrir