[vlc-devel] commit: Try to not confuse between Dolby Surround (2.1) and Dolby Digital ( 5.1) (Jean-Baptiste Kempf )

Boris Dores babal at via.ecp.fr
Fri Oct 17 02:53:50 CEST 2008

  Hi,

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 02:16:31PM (GMT+0200), git version control wrote:
> Try to not confuse between Dolby Surround (2.1) and Dolby Digital (5.1)

  Sorry, but I am convinced this is wrong (I wrote those lines). This
option is really about Dolby Surround, not Dolby Digital. Anyway, I fail
to see how Dolby Digital could not be detected, that's the point of the
digital thing over the stereo encoded analog one.

  And by the way, I really think that Dolby Surround (Prologic in this
case) cannot be called 2.1 : it's stereo + rear + front, not stereo +
LFE ([1], see "notation").

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surround_sound#3.0_Channel_Surround_.28analog_matrixed:_Dolby_Surround.29

--
Boris Dorès