[vlc-devel] libvlc_media_player_stop

David Hoyt dhoyt at llnl.gov
Sat Oct 25 01:43:24 CEST 2008

I've got an interesting error that I've tried everything I know how to
resolve it. Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that I'm just not that
familiar w/ the VLC internals.

I'm trying to use vlc in java through the java bindings (JVLC). The app
freezes on me, however, in libvlc_media_player_stop and sometimes in
libvlc_media_player_release on Windows XP SP2.

I can't release any example code without going through an exhaustive review
and release process. So I'm stuck explaining the problem.

Here are some others with the same problem:
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=2
<http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51509> &t=51509
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14
<http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47385&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=6
0> &t=47385&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60

I've got 12+ videos going on a single dialog using SWT. I start them out all
playing the same video. They then reach the end of the 3-second long clip
and all stop. I then tell one panel to play a video. It plays just fine.
Then I tell it to switch and play another video while it's still playing (my
code asks it to stop first and then play) and it freezes. Java tells me it's
stuck on the call to libvlc_media_player_stop(). This freezes up my app.

I've tried running all the commands on the GUI thread and then also on
separate threads and no luck. My guess is that it's stuck on line 689 of
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/browser/src/control/media_player.c

I've also run into another error if you try and call
libvlc_media_player_stop() from the endReached event handler. It freezes
there as well. That's not a tough one to get around, but it shouldn't lock
up on you.

I would appreciate anyone's help if they can provide it.

Thanks!