[vlc-devel] 5.1 to stereo plugin with lookahead

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Tue Oct 28 10:24:38 CET 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008, Mikel Astiz wrote:
>    We've been trying different approaches, using audio filters or audio
>    mixers, but the function DoWork apparently is never given the sound signal
>    of the "future". Could someone confirm this? COULD SOMEONE CONFIRM THAT
>    YOU CANNOT OBTAIN THE SAMPLES BEYOND THE CURRENT POSITION OF THE VIDEO?
 With the current aout (and a little input) architecture it is not possible to
have an audio filter that bufferizes any sensible amount of audio.

>    The only solution we have found so far is to use the parameter "Audio
>    desynchronization compensation". This can delay the video output, and
>    makes it possible to have all the audio input several seconds before the
>    corresponding video is played. This approach raises another question: can
>    you change this parameter (Audio desynchronization compensation)
>    programmatically in a plugin, without involving the user?
Not really, besides you cannot bufferize any audio anyway.

>    Any suggestions will be welcome.
I don't see how it would be possible without a change in aout and input and
will work only for local file playback.

--
fenrir