[vlc-devel] mux/ts.c doesn't play nice when transcoding video but copying audio

David Flynn davidf+nntp at woaf.net
Tue Oct 28 18:23:06 CET 2008

Consider:

vlc -vvv in.ts --sout \
 '#transcode{vcodec=mp2v}:standard{access=file,mux=ts,dst=out.ts}'

We are transcoding the video in in.ts, but copying the audio.  What i'm
seeing is the PCR put on the audio pid, a load of audio is quickly
copied, and eventually, some video arrives.  Unfortunately the DTS of
the video is now > PCR of the stream and we get the following warning:

  mux_ts mux warning: packet with too strange dts
   (dts=529249448056,old=529249568004,pcr=529249860123)

The packet is then dropped and things snap back into place.

If on the otherhand, the audio is transcoded as well, no such issue
exists:

vlc -vvv in.ts --sout \
 '#transcode{acodec=mp2a,vcodec=mp2v}:standard{access=file,mux=ts,dst=out.ts}'

Any thoughts on how to solve this?

..david