[vlc-devel] isom ctts

David Flynn davidf+nntp at woaf.net
Wed Oct 29 09:31:24 CET 2008

On 2008-10-29, Laurent Aimar <fenrir at via.ecp.fr> wrote:
>  Of course not, that would be insane.
>  You need to use edit list entry (edts/elst), simple and clean.

It requires you to know the offset again, which seems like more work
than if they got it right in the first place.

>> You *will* encounter mp4 files with signed sample_offset.  From when i
>> last spoke to apple about it, there may be a move afoot to relax the
>> restriction in isom/mp4, because it is broken by design and causes
>> issues.
>  Well having negative DTS strikes me as an ugly workaround to avoid
> edit list.

I personally don't see it as a big deal, everything happens with modulo
arithmetic, so there isn't really a concept of negative dts.  see also
the case when the dts/pts wrap around in an mpeg2 es.

..david