[vlc-devel] Speex audio in .flv container

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Mon Sep 1 11:23:06 CEST 2008

On 29 aug 2008, at 23:13, Steven Woolley wrote:
> Thanks!
> Indeed, it doesn't appear to be able to be decoded!?!  I have no
> clue what "extradata" is or would be?  Is that something associated
> with the .ogg container or is it really something that we need to
> decode it? (apparently it's not totally needed since the flash
> player itself can decode the example file I gave and play it just
> fine)

extradata is the paramaters that were used to encode and are
"required" to decode. They are usually present in the header of a
file. If these are indeed no where to be found, then 1 adobe is stupid
and 2 they should fix it in my humble opinion.

> Does anyone know if the www.speex.org codec needs this "extradata"?
> Is there some command that will just dump the audio frames as is to
> stdout so I can pipe them to speexdec?
>
> Ideally though it would be implemented in mencoder or ffmpeg (so I
> we can do videos with audio in sync without using a other software).
> Should I file another enhancement to overcome this "extradata" issue?

This is likely something that should be fixed in ffmpeg yes.

DJ