[vlc-devel] [RFC] BeOS support removal

Eric Petit eric.petit at lapsus.org
Tue Sep 2 07:48:27 CEST 2008

On Aug 30, 2008, at 12:34 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> BeOS support has remained broken for a _long_ time.
> If nobody steps up to fix it quickly, I suggest we remove it and
> assume the
> platform is dead.

This was discussed recently on the haiku-development mailing list:
http://www.freelists.org/archives/haiku-development/08-2008/msg00398.html

The short story is that there is no plan to make 0.9 work on BeOS,
however it should work on Haiku (its open source rewrite). Haiku comes
with much better POSIX compliance and pthreads, so it is ok to get rid
of the BeOS hacks in the threading and networking code.

However, I don't believe it will include Qt in the foreseeable future,
so it would be a native port like on OS X. The current BeOS module
should almost be reusable as is. It probably won't be long before
someone gives it a try, so I am not sure it is worth removing it from
the repo - although we can still pull it out of the history.

--
Eric