[vlc-devel] [RFC] BeOS support removal

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Tue Sep 2 09:17:42 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 07:48:27 +0200, Eric Petit <eric.petit at lapsus.org>
wrote:
> The short story is that there is no plan to make 0.9 work on BeOS,
> however it should work on Haiku (its open source rewrite). Haiku comes
> with much better POSIX compliance and pthreads, so it is ok to get rid
> of the BeOS hacks in the threading and networking code.

Right. My main concern is that the BeOS thread support is broken and
incomplete at the moment.

As regards the GCC version, VLC should work with gcc 3.3 and up, although I
have not tried anything below 4.2 for a long time (VLC should work with any
almost-C99&C++ compiler, not just GCC).

> However, I don't believe it will include Qt in the foreseeable future,
> so it would be a native port like on OS X.

Well... I doubt my employer is interested in BeOS, although I have no
informations on this.