[vlc-devel] commit: vout_RenderPicture should not render subtitles on the provided picture. ( Laurent Aimar )

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Wed Sep 3 20:11:36 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008, Antoine Cellerier wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008, git version control wrote:
> > vout_RenderPicture should not render subtitles on the provided picture.
>
> Is that a constraint due to decoders using the picture as a reference
> frame?
No, that case was already handled.

> > This prevents rendering subtitles multiple times (but at the cost of a
> > picture copy when subtiles are rendered).
>
> Won't this have a noticeable impact on load when playing a video with
> subs or using some other sub picture source (like filters)?
It will have a small penality in some case. Most of the time the copy
was already done (that's why it was nearly working).

> Wouldn't it be possible to have a flag on pictures like "b_spu_blended"
> to prevent multiple rendering?
 No, we may overlay subtitles/osd on a pause video or on a video frame
with a duration greater than our video refresh. As the subtitles/osd overlayed
can change while the picture stay the same a b_spu_blended is useless.

--
fenrir