[vlc-devel] Need help on a libvlc problem

jboileau jboileau at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 20:44:14 CEST 2008

Hi,

When I play a file using libvlc_media_player_play and let it finish,
after it is finished the played file is still locked, What I mean is I
can't erase the file. If I start the play and stop it using
libvlc_media_player_stop than the file is released and I can erase it.
If anyone can help me figure out what the heck I am doing wrong, I
would greatly appreciate. What I would like is to be able on the
reached end event to delete the file that just played.

Looking at the traces I can see that when libvlc_media_player_stop is
called, the input thread is released and the input is destroyed. This
probably explains why the file can be erased. But this does not happen
when the play finishes playing and the media reached end event is
fired. Is there something I should do in the media reached end event
hanler to release the input?

I am developing under Windows using libvlc 0.9.1.

Thanks for your help,

Jacques Boileau