[vlc-devel] [vlc] Arabic unicode subtitles improperly displayed

dooooo dooooo.thenewbie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 05:06:15 CEST 2008

Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le dimanche 7 septembre 2008 04:38:17 dooooo, vous avez écrit :
>
>> I can't display Arabic Unicode subtitles properly . In fact this problem
>> is present in mplayer and Xine . The only multimedia framework not
>> suffering from this problem is Gstreamer (I tested with 2 players using
>> Gstreamer as a backend successfully ) .
>>
>> Vlc screenshot :
>> http://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vlcwithimproperdisplayosm3.png
>>
>> Totem-gstreamer screenshot :
>> http://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?image=totemgstreamerwithpropetj5.png
>>
>> I'm attaching a sample subtitle file with this mail to work with it If
>> needed .
>>

> That's a problem with the selected fonts. Go to the preference, and select a
> font that include Arabic characters.

Not really .
As I mentioned the subtitle is Unicode and all mainstream fonts are
Unicode-compatible .
Anyway , I tried the same font I use in Totem-gstreamer and the result
didn't change .
I investigated the issue ( under Debian at least) before I reported It .
I attached a sample subtitle in the previous e-mail . Try It (in a Linux
environment) and tell me If you had luck ( A screenshot will definitely
convince me) .

Thank you for replying .