[vlc-devel] vlc_object_signal removal

Olivier Aubert olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr
Mon Sep 8 17:45:32 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 18:14 +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> It makes no sense to wait for "nothing" to happen.
Well, I invite you to read again my e-mails and if it is not clear, have
a look at the code (src/video_output/vout_intf.c:vout_Snapshot and
src/control/mediacontrol_audio_video.c:mediacontrol_snapshot) to better
understand what I am talking about.

More seriously, I perfectly understand that the existing code is not
entirely correct and has the potential to create hard-to-find deadlocks
and non-understandable behaviour, even though in its actual usage it
currently works (do not bother to reply "appears to work but is
unbearably broken", I know that). I will fix that.

Some suggestions :
- the vlc_object_wait doc should mention this spurious wakeup problem
- btw, it currently says that the function "@return true if the object
is dying and should terminate.", while the return type is void.

Thanks for your help.

Olivier