[vlc-devel] zvbi "default region" setting

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Tue Sep 9 15:26:18 CEST 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:11:28 +0200, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote
> On 9 sep 2008, at 14:00, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 13:03:47 +0200, Marian Ďurkovič <md at bts.sk>
> > wrote:
> >> Probably it's required to define a new config parameter
> >> "Teletext default region", which needs to be user configurable.
> >
> > Errr... it should just be autodetected (perhaps, with a
> > configuration knob
> > for odd balls combinations), or it needs to be asked very clearly when
> > needed. No user will ever think of going to the preferences for that.
>
> To quote the zvbi documentation btw:
>
>   * Regrettably some networks still only transmit the lower 3
>   * bits. With this function you can supply an 8 bit default
>   * character code for all pages. The built-in default is 16.
>   */

Well, despite zvbi documentation, it can only parse a few of the X/28 and M/29
variants so with most european TV stations it blindly uses its
default (16 + national bits) which is fine for:

/* 16 - Western Europe and Turkey */
        { LATIN_G0, LATIN_G2, ENGLISH,
        { LATIN_G0, LATIN_G2, GERMAN,
        { LATIN_G0, LATIN_G2, SWE_FIN_HUN,
        { LATIN_G0, LATIN_G2, ITALIAN,
        { LATIN_G0, LATIN_G2, FRENCH,
        { LATIN_G0, LATIN_G2, PORTUG_SPANISH,
        { LATIN_G0, LATIN_G2, TURKISH,

Thus western users don't even notice something's wrong. Anyway, for other
countries we need the config option to set the "region" - i.e. one of these:
        /* 0 - Western and Central Europe */
        /* 8 - Eastern Europe */
        /* 16 - Western Europe and Turkey */
        /* 24 - Central and Southeast Europe */
        /* 32 - Cyrillic */

etc. as found in zvbi's src/lang.h
And, perhaps region 0 is more sane default than region 16, at least for EU
countries :-)

          With kind regards,

              M.