[vlc-devel] Status of Win32 branch nightly

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Wed Sep 10 09:14:37 CEST 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 23:55:32 -0700, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote
> > That will mean everyone watching TV would need to set up this in preferences.
> > As mentioned before, if you link with libmpeg2-0.4.1, the problem disappears,
> > so I believe this is more feasible solution.
> Well, 0.4.1 has issues in error resiliance. See sam's website and zzuf.
> So I doubt this is a good idea.

VLC linked with 0.5.1 for sure crashes when receiving proper, legitimate stream.
VLC linked with 0.4.1 might rarely crash when receiving corrupted data.

My preference would go for 0.4.1.

BTW, crashes on corrupted data are much worse with ffmpeg's h.264 decoder - just
a few lost IP packets can cause a crash. Never seen this with libmpeg2-0.4.1 though.

   With kind regards,

         M.