[vlc-devel] VLC media player 0.9.2 Grishenko release

Antoine Cellerier dionoea at videolan.org
Mon Sep 15 01:02:13 CEST 2008

Dear VideoLAN users,

After  more than  two years  of  development and  100,000,000 VLC  media
player  0.8.6 downloads,  the VideoLAN  team  is proud  to announce  the
release of VLC media player 0.9.2, codename "Grishenko".

Some of the major changes from 0.8.6 to 0.9.2 include:
 * New Qt4 interface for Windows and Linux
 * Support for many new codecs (Dirac, Atrac3, APE, ...) and demuxers
 * Vastly improved subtitles support
 * Media library, Live playlist search, Last.FM support
 * Album art support
 * Improved metadata support
 * Video for Linux 2 support (v4l2)
 * DVB support on Windows (BDA)
 * Simplified libvlc and Mac OS X development framework
 * New localization to Finnish, Persian, Polish, Punjabi and Bulgarian

A  comprehensive  list  of  new  features  can  be  found  on  our  wiki
<http://wiki.videolan.org/What_is_cool_in_0.9> or by reading the release
notes  at  <http://www.videolan.org/developers/vlc/NEWS>  (See  "Changes
between 0.8.6i  and 0.9.1" as well  as "between 0.9.1 and  0.9.2"). This
document also  includes "important notes"  which you should  read before
upgrading to VLC 0.9.2.

Binary packages for Windows and MacOSX,  as well as source code tarballs
are available for download at http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ .

Help is available, as usual, in many places:
 * The documentation (we need help keeping it up to date!):
   http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Documentation/
 * The forum: http://forum.videolan.org
 * IRC: #videolan on Freenode

We'd like  to thank all our  contributors, testers and users  around the
world for their support and help making this release possible.

For the VideoLAN team,

--
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea