[vlc-devel] commit: Delete *.dll and plugins before install. (Jean-Baptiste Kempf )

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Tue Sep 16 22:13:34 CEST 2008

Le mardi 16 septembre 2008 22:19:27 Jean-Baptiste Kempf, vous avez écrit :
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 02:52:54PM +0200, Antoine Cellerier wrote :
> > On Tue, Sep 16, 2008, hannes_b at gmx.at wrote:
> > > at install make a list of installing files and at deinstall delete only
> > > the installed files as an option so people can keep external plugins.
> >
> > This is already what we do. I don't get why we need this commit?
> > (maybe for people installing over really old versions)
>
> Easy: if the uninstaller does not work correctly for example if it is
> missing some uninstall.log, or if it was installed once with .zip or .7z
> files, there will be some plugins/*dll leftovers.
>
> If you don't believe me, just add a vlc plugin for 0.8.6 in a 0.9.0
> folder.

0.8.6 and 0.9.0 use different entry point names. Neither version will load a
plugin from the other. GetProcAddress() will fail because vlc_entry_0_X_Yz
will not be found. In fact, it will most probably fail even earlier, during
LoadLibrary() as libvlc.dll will probably miss some symbols.

This commit is just a wrong and ugly hack. If you don't want the dialog, RTFM
at msdn.microsoft.com which conveniently remarks that [to] "enable or disable
error messages displayed by the loader during DLL loads, [you shall] use the
SetErrorMode function."

http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary