[vlc-devel] Fwd: vlc 0.9.2 feedback

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed Sep 17 17:41:16 CEST 2008

Hello,

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 12:22:16PM +0300, Dominique Leuenberger wrote :
> I got vlc 0.9.2 yesterday while doing an update on 11.0.
> I have some feedback for you about it what partly is packaging and
> partly source code issues. I just mention the latter.
>
> - vlc is quite noisy when run from the command line and has a lot of
>   debug messages including the config
Did you compile with --enable-release ? (no debug message should show)

About the config, maybe we could remove it when not launched in debug,
mode, but I don't really know.

> - here are some messages:
>   * main generic error: no dialogs provider module matched "any"
>   * skins2 interface error: no suitable dialogs provider found (hint:
>     compile the qt4 plugin, and make sure it is loaded properly)
Obviously the qt4 plugin is NOT loaded/compiled.

Therefore:
> - basic stuff like opening the file dialog doesn't work, the previous
>   error messages appear on the console
>   (same for preferences)
happens because of no Qt

> - fullscreen button only works when a video is running but it shows
>   only black for me and it opens as a "window" (that means I have to
>   drop it explicitely since my WM behaviour is that I place new windows
>   manually). That used to be different and _is_ different with other
>   applications which have a fullscreen implementation
Same.

> - when started from command line (I have no way in the gui to choose a
>   video), the video starts in an extra window and not within vlc's
>   control window.
>   When I stop and start the video again it is displayed in the main
>   window though
And probably the same.

> - the mouse hides immediately when hovering the video even when it's
>   moved which is a UI nightmare. It should only hide after a timeout
>   and reappear immediately when moved.
>
> That's it for now.
>
> Wolfgang

Best Regards,