[vlc-devel] image video output

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Fri Sep 19 08:45:07 CEST 2008

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 01:41:46 +0200, Antoine Cellerier
<dionoea at videolan.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008, Georg Seifert wrote:
>> but I used it from the gui. There is no place to specify the
>> directory. I just wanted to suggest that it could default for the
>> directory of source video in this case.
>
> It defaults to the directory from which VLC was launched from. We have
> no way of knowing the video's directoy in the image video filter.
> (Theoretically we could find a way, but it would a horrible hack)

I would go further, and state that we don't want to know. What if we cannot
write there? read-only file system (DVD), no write permissions for the user
(network share), slow write or not enough disk space (USB stick), or even
not a file system at all (any access other than file/mmap).

The best place would be a VLC_snapshot subdirectory of the user image
directory ("My Images"), I would say.