[vlc-devel] http performance issue

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Fri Sep 19 13:18:03 CEST 2008

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:02:47 +0200, Sébastien Escudier
<sebastien-devel at celeos.eu> wrote:
> But when I try to do the same with http :
> - Multiple client on the first video is ok (up to 10 client, and CPU
usage
> is bellow 2%)
> - But as soon as a new client is asking for a different video (for
example
> client1 asks video1 and client2 asks video2), the CPU usage is between 30
> and 100%

Do I assume you are using broadcast mode?

That would hint that the HTTP daemon core is very much not scalable, which
is quite possible.
With RTSP, there is one sending thread per elementary (RTP) stream, plus
one thread doing all the signaling. With HTTP there is one thread doing
everything for the whole system.