[vlc-devel] commit: Add --enable-run-as-root option to configure. (Antoine Cellerier )

Antoine Cellerier dionoea at videolan.org
Fri Sep 19 21:58:17 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008, git version control wrote:
> Add --enable-run-as-root option to configure.
>
> Embedded platforms often only have the root user. Do not, I repeat, Do not enable this option if you don't know what you're doing.

I completely agree with our policy of not allowing runing VLC as root at
all ... but some people don't and I thought that it wouldn't hurt to add
this option, as long as it's a compile time option and default disabled.

See http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48356 for examples of
people who really really really don't want to use VLC as another user
then root.

Cheers,

--
Antoine Cellerier