[vlc-devel] Update system critical bugs

Antoine Cellerier dionoea at videolan.org
Sat Sep 20 00:30:45 CEST 2008

The update system fails to verify some downloaded files.
This UPDATE_VLC_STATUS_URL works:
http://update.videolan.org/vlc/test/status-works
This UPDATE_VLC_STATUS_URL fails:
http://update.videolan.org/vlc/test/status-fails

Note that the failure occurs on sha1 and pgp signature verification of
the downloaded file.

This means that:
1/ We need to find the bug and fix it.
2/ For upcomming releases, we need to make sure that files provided
through the update system don't exhibit this bug ... and if they do add
a few bytes in a text file somewhere in the archive until we find a
working file. Else people with previous versions won't be able to
upgrade.

I unfortunately have very little experience about that pgp code in VLC
and would appreciate if someone could have a look.

Cheers,

--
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea