[vlc-devel] [RFC] #2106: RTP streaming confusing in Qt intf

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Wed Sep 24 16:53:52 CEST 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:24:11 +0200, Marian Ďurkovič <md at bts.sk> wrote:
>    could streaming people please comment on this ?

If you really need to do _both_ UDP and RTP, maybe you should not use the
UI anyway. If we separate the two tabs, people will pick UDP _always_ just
because they "know" what it is. I have seen this happen quite a bunch of
times.

As for TS-muxing vs port-muxing, the point is only true if we have more
than one elementary stream. Also, they are some FOURCC which cannot be
conveyed over TS. And we if enable TS by default, we run into the same risk
as with UDP: that people will interpret "non TS" as a dangerous option,
which it might be, but so is TS. In all due fairness, RTP payload formats
are not implemented for some FOURCC which we can put in TS (e.g. VC1 if I'm
not mistaken, and probably picture subtitles).

In any case you should really export the SDP. Then, the live plugin can
open port-muxed streams. No matter how you look at it, it's really a matter
of user-specific use cases, which one is best. Given that the streaming
output panel is way out of reach of users who don't know how to use it, I
think there is no need point in enabling the TS by default.