[vlc-devel] rtsp module : vlc freeze

Sébastien Escudier sebastien-devel at celeos.eu
Fri Sep 26 09:41:51 CEST 2008

Hi

I noticed something which can freeze vlc for a long time.
If you try to read an rtsp url which doesn't exists, it can freeze several
minutes before you can quit.
Freeze is because of two functions :
in live555.cpp : p_sys->rtsp->sendOptionsCmd(...)
can block for several minutes
And then, few lines later :
p_sys->rtsp->describeURL(...)
Which can freeze again for several minutes.

I know this is liveMedia internal functions, but could this call be aborted in
case user asks to quit.
In my case it spawns output like "main playlist debug: dying input" thousands of
times before quiting with
[0x8148598] live555 demux debug: DESCRIBE failed with 0: connect() failed:
Connection timed out
[0x8148598] live555 demux debug: connection timeout, retrying

This doesn't happens with all url. For example rtsp://10.0 fail quickly with no
route to host, but rtsp://192.43 takes several minutes to fail. This must
depends on network configuration.

Regards