[vlc-devel] Suspending Windows support.

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Fri Sep 26 13:00:38 CEST 2008

After discussing with j-b last night, I am considering attaching the
following to our release announcement.

==Suspended support for the Windows platform==
We also have another announcement, and this one is less joy-full. Due
to a continued lack of Windows developers in our team, this will
likely be the last release of VLC media player on the Windows platform
until a new developer for VLC media player Windows has been found. The
already small team of Linux and Mac developers lack the required time
and skills to give appropriate attention to the Windows port of VLC
media player.  This situation is undesirable for our Windows userbase
(which are stuck with a sub-par product) as well as for the Linux and
Mac OS X users who continuously have to wait on us to fix the Windows
port again. We have decided that continuing Windows support in it's
current form is undesirable and that we are suspending further Windows
releases until we can improve on this. We are therefore putting out a
call for NEW Windows developers, so we can hopefully resume supporting
our, by far, largest group of users as soon as possible.