[vlc-devel] commit: Qt4: disable the crashy embedded video(!) ( Rémi Denis -Courmont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Mon Sep 29 10:45:31 CEST 2008

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:26:21 +0200, "Marian Ďurkovič" <md at bts.sk> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:10:24 +0200 (CEST), git version control wrote
>> vlc | branch: 0.9-bugfix | Rémi Denis-Courmont
>> <rdenis at simphalempin.com> | Sat Sep 20 14:51:46 2008 +0300|
>> [5f0ea9ca06dc6ea1497d437c130dcd42ef275f53] | committer: Rémi Denis-
>> Courmont
>>
>> Qt4: disable the crashy embedded video(!)
>>
>> I don't know if it's a Qt4 interface bug and/or an X11 output bug, but
>> it causes frequent crashes with several users (and most of them don't
>> know about --no-embedded-video).
>> (cherry picked from commit fff7615fa9bf44f90ac5573eb2964bcb51e4ac3c)
>
> Which trac ticket is this? I've never seen it crashing here during last
> few weeks due to this - neither on Linux nor on Win32.

There has been quite many complaints on IRC. I don't remember the Trac
ticket immediately, and if they have been adequately re-opened but there
definitely are such tickets.

> Anyway this commit is WRONG.

Heck - that thing DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY. Such thing does not belong in a
release, not even disabled by default.

> If those users can't find the variable,
> change the default value of that variable to false,
> but please don't remove the functionality in the source!

Like that will make a difference... people won't find to enable it. And if
they do, they won't know about disabling it again if it starts crashing on
them.