[vlc-devel] Windoows Support...

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Mon Sep 29 20:14:14 CEST 2008

	Hello,

Disclaimer: From a totally selfish point of view, I couldn't care less what
features Windows version does or does not provide. I only use it for games,
and, through WinCE, Microsoft is a competitor to my employer.

Le vendredi 26 septembre 2008 22:10:13 Tony Anecito, vous avez écrit :
> I saw the email regarding windows support. I am willing to take ownership
> but that would mean I would focus on stablizing the windows code and not
> adding enhancements. Also, I would setup a different project and pull the
> modules from the vlc project.

That's a process I have been considering. But I have a feeling it's not very
popular (yet) with the other core guys here.

> Also, it would focus on stability, making it a smaller distro and not new
> features (at least for several months) and use a java GUI from MyUniPortal.
> I simply do not have time to create or maintain the qt GUI and will only
> focus on the client side. I strongly believe the streaming server side
> should be left to the Linux implementation.

People do stream from Windows, inspite of how inefficient I guess it is on the
Windows platform. As for the interface, it is not an option; it is a MUST.
Also note that quite much of the work comes from supporting "contrib", the
conutless underlying libraries.

VLC does need to be stabilized on Windows. Considering your usage, it might
well be a good idea for you to "stabilize" it the way you like. In fact, if
nobody takes over Windows maintainance, you might be well advised to do that
for your own sake.

However, VideoLAN project is unlikely to endorse a fork that would do away
with not only the streaming output, but also the user interface.