[vlc-devel] commit: Add a few bunch of FOURCC (Jean-Baptiste Kempf )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Apr 3 17:36:33 CEST 2009

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:55:03 +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 12:50:14PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
>> What's the point of adding more VLC FOURCC for the same FFMPEG codec?
>
> Because if we have some AVI with those fourCC,

...we need to map from AVI to VLC FOURCC. That's why there is an
AVI_FourccGetCodec() function.

VLC FOURCC are a separate namespace, where we have plenty of stuff that is
*NOT* coming from AVI.

> ...else, it would be undetected.

You don't really think that adding FOURCC to the *sole* avcodec plugin will
solve that problem, do you? What about mux and stream_out plugins?