[vlc-devel] Contributing to the VLC project

Cristina Yenyxe González García the.blue.valkyrie at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 12:33:49 CEST 2009

Hello list,

I've been using VLC for one year or so, and now I would like to
contribute to the project, specially since I read the proposals for
GSoC. I consider to help with some of those easy tasks (I'm not a
student but still a junior programmer), so I was waiting until the
student application deadline.
I have some C, C++ and Qt (Jambi) knowledge, and I prefer to develop
under Linux (I use Kubuntu).

About the tasks I was thinking about, I tried to reproduce the issue
"Subtitle auto sense-load, wrong path"
(http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2515) but I didn't manage to,
neither in Windows nor Linux, with versions 0.9.6, 0.9.8a nor
1.0.0-pre1, and paths full of accents, blanks and dots. Has anyone
checked it?
I also consider interesting fixing compilation warnings and trying to
document the code at the same time, which would also be useful to
learn a bit about how the project is structured. Finally, the biggest
one in which I am mostly interested is the proposal "GUI interfaces
for the browsers plug-ins", has any student chose it?

Have you got any better ideas for a newbie? :-)

Greetings,
Cristina