[vlc-devel] macosx window border

Georg Seifert georg.seifert at gmx.de
Thu Apr 9 17:21:37 CEST 2009

Hi Felix,

> Hi Georg,
>
> a rewrite of the actions shouldn't be necessary. We can reuse the
> existing functions for the segmented control as long as you send me
> 3 pngs. That's how Apple does, too, btw.
you meen you use pngs for the hole button? I rather wouldn’t do this.
It is easier to maintain if you use a standard segmentet control (than
you have only one action called and you get the "button" from the
index) You do not need to take care of the pressed state and so on.

> I like the mookup. It integrates nicely with Leopard and future
> releases of OS X. If you need shapes for some of the icons, have a
> look at "fullscreen_panel.svg" in extras/package/macosx, which
> includes all graphics for our fullscreen controller.
ok.

> Screenshots for Win32 and Linux are available here: [1] Essentially,
> the interface didn't change too much in master for VLC 1.0.
actually the Qt version needs a redesign even more ;)

> Note that we will rework the OS X interface once VLC 1.0 is branched
> (and became the stable tree...) based upon a student's work from
> last GSoC. In my opinion, some of these buttons could improved,
> too :-) It will look like this [2], [3].

This looks like a good idea to integrate everything in one window.
But it has various problems.
- The bottom border does not fit at all. The left part below the media
list looks like Mail.app and the area below the vout looks a bit like
iTunes.
- The second image has two media lists??
- The search field should stay close to the media list, or like in
iTunes/finder in the upper right corner.

I did some very fast IB and Photoshop:
www.schriftgestaltung.de/dateien/vlc2.png

Georg