[vlc-devel] ATTN: removal of website playlist parsers

Antoine Cellerier dionoea at videolan.org
Wed Apr 15 19:25:33 CEST 2009

Howdy,

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Hence, I'm going to remove all LUA parsers but the CUE file one before
> 1.0 goes out. If you have a proof that a given parser is not in breach
> of copyright for the corresponding website, please explain why/how.

I'm against this removal. I fail to see the difference between a user
checking the html and finding the video's url and automating that
process. (And I'll revert any commit removing those scripts)

If it were indeed proven that this was a breach of copyright,
and copyright holders complained to us, I agree that we'd need to remove
the scripts (Even though, as far as I know, providing the script wouldn't
in itself be a copyright infringement. Using it would)

Regards,

--
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea