[vlc-devel] ATTN: removal of website playlist parsers

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Wed Apr 15 19:36:52 CEST 2009

Le mercredi 15 avril 2009, Derk-Jan Hartman a écrit :
> 3: We assist our users in violating it (translated from dutch): "You
> are not permitted to access the content posted by the users in any
> other way than using the videoplayback-pages of the Website itself,
> the YouTube-player or any other means explicitly approved by
> Youtube." [also includes Youtube's own content] and probably we
> violate several other terms of service.

AFAIK, EUCD and its adaptation in most if not all EU countries, forbids
software that is essentially meant to infringe on copyrights. At least
those I vaguely know (French and Finnish) do include this
legal "feature".

There is a major distinction here. Publishing a media player is legal,
because _not_all_ performed content is pirated. On the other hand,
there is no way in hell that the LUA scripts could be used without
violating the terms of use, and hence infringing copyrights. Publishing
them is hence piracy.

http://www.remlab.net/