[vlc-devel] Which JNA to build JVLC?

Karl Ostendorf karl at ostendorf.com
Thu Apr 16 16:10:28 CEST 2009

I am trying to build the java bindings but come across the following error:

bindings\java\core\src\main\java\org\videolan\jvlc\internal\LibVlc.java:48:
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable OPTION_DLOPEN_GLOBAL
location: interface com.sun.jna.Library
             put(Library.OPTION_DLOPEN_GLOBAL, Boolean.TRUE);
                            ^
1 error

The dlopen_global patch posted to the JNA mailing list
(https://jna.dev.java.net/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=2103)
which would correct the compile errors has not been applied to the JNA
trunk yet.

I checked out JNA revision 744 (mentioned in the patch file) and
applied the patch myself but compiling produces the following error:

../build/native/dispatch.o:dispatch.c:(.text+0x183e): undefined
reference to `_LOAD_LIBRARY_GLOBAL'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [../build/native/jnidispatch.dll] Error 1

I get the same error after applying the patch to JNA release 3.0.9
too.  [The current JNA trunk won't compile now with or without the
patch :-)]

How should we compile JNA so that we can use it to build JVLC?

Note: This post relates to Alexander Bethke email from 2009-01-19.

Cheers,
  Karl