[vlc-devel] ADD libvlc winconsole switch

basos g noxelia at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 16:12:54 CEST 2009

2009/4/17 David Flynn <davidf+nntp at woaf.net <davidf%2Bnntp at woaf.net>>

> On 2009-04-17, basos g <noxelia at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I wouldn't make a clue about a printf %zu platform specific bug that is
> > caused by the latest *printf re0rganizing and caused a silent crash
> (that's
> > another case though), if i didn't see the logs to the win console.
>
> Don't see how that helps -- you'll never see the message since it died
> inside *printf.  Its much easier to look at the stack and go, aaah.

This is a fact, i saw the debugs that were missed before. I traced the issue
and found that the spurious printf is the one inside module need that has a
%s after %zu( which us untranslated). Thus causing a segfault. For this
issue i was told to upgrade to mingw runtime 3.15 (from 3.14). I am doing so
right now. And i will report the results.

> If there were a way to not detatch from the current terminal, that'd be
> far nicer.

Yes it would.

> also, remember you can run with -vvv -I rc, which brings up a console
> too (is that not early enough?)

Thanks, I didn't know. I tried and indeed it opened a new terminal. But it
already missed the early initialization strings ( from libvlc_internalInit )
that winconsole can catch.

To make things worse gdb is only showing an one stage stack into msvcrt at
strlen. No further clues could be made for the caller.

I insist this option to be included to simulate a windows linux like
console.
Anyway you take the decision as this is an optional feauture (that on the
other hand does not hurt), i make suggestions.

basos