[vlc-devel] Questions about VLC's avcodec video decoder

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Mon Apr 20 21:41:11 CEST 2009

Hi,
On Sat, Apr 18, 2009, Etienne Membrives wrote:
> Laurent Aimar a écrit :
> > If it could help you, I have made a quick and ugly patch to support VAAPI through
> > ffmpeg that I can send to you
>
> It can surely help us, as there is similarities between VAAPI and VDPAU.
> You can send it to me, I'm very interested.
 I have cleaned it up and send as an attachment to this mail.
I am not sure all error pathes are correctly checked though nor
if the code is optimal (and it lacks some comments). It lacks the
configure checks, so you will need to modify vlc-config to fix for
missing libraries at link stage.

 For correct h264, you need to apply the vaapi h264 patch (pending on
ffmpeg ML). I have H264 decoding issues (the B frames before an I) but
I don't think it is related to my patch.

 I choosed to extract the decoded frame back to memory instead of developping
a new specific vaapi vout. I is easier, more maintenable, allows transcoding
and does not break our current OSD.
 The performance seems good enough anyway.

Regards,
--
fenrir