[vlc-devel] Pb with JVLC on MacOSX Leopard

Eric Nicolas erik.nicolas at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 15:42:27 CEST 2009

Topic initially posted here : http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=58603#p195457
But someone suggested that I post here too.
---

First, as mentionned here, there is not much JVLC information on the
web. I nevertheless noticed that JVLC is in fact now provided part of
the standard VLC source tree which is good.
I try to get it to work on MacOSX Leopard, using standard JDK 1.6.0.

First I had to hack LibVLC.java so that it uses the correct
"libvlc.dylib" library name of Mac :

---
     LibVlc INSTANCE = (LibVlc) Native.loadLibrary(
              Platform.isWindows() ? "libvlc.dll" :
                 Platform.isMac() ? "libvlc.dylib" :
                    "vlc",
                    LibVlc.class, options);
---

But still, it does not load, failing on :

---
     Unable to load library 'libvlc.dylib': dlopen(.../vlc/
vlc_install_dir/lib/libvlc.dylib, 1): no suitable image found.  Did
find:
     .../vlc/vlc_install_dir/lib/libvlc.dylib: mach-o, but wrong
architecture
---

Googling this error seems to point out that the JDK (and JNA libs) are
64-bits while libvlc is 32-bits. Is that the correct interpretation
for this error ?

If so what are the options ?
- Compiling VLC as 64-bits binary (seems to be NOT an option at the
moment) ?
- Forcing off-the shelf JNA to load 32-bits libraries (is that even
possible) ?
- Using a 32-bit JDK for MacOSX (is there even one) ?
- Building another Java / Vlc binding, maybe using true JNI (will I
encounter a similar problem) ?
- Using another method than JVLC to use VLC within Java (which one) ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks !