[vlc-devel] General Question : status of 64-bits VLC (prepare for Snow Leopard)

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 28 19:30:13 CEST 2009

Hello Eric,

> As you know, MacOSX 10.6 Snow Leopard is fully 64-bits, and 32-bits
> applications will be supported only via a "compatibilty layer".
Well, it includes Fat Binaries of all System Libraries, so 32bit apps
will behave correctly. However, as a 2nd runtime will need to be
loaded in addition to the 64bit one, the memory impact will be
noticeable.

> So I guess it will become important to have a 64-bits version of VLC
> when Snow Leopard is out (maybe in June, most probably in September).
> What are your plans about this ?
I've already contributed some preparing code for VLC 1.0, so its
source will compile in 64bit mode. We won't ship 64bit capable builds
at this point though, as these are close to being completely untested
(due to lack of time of our  OS X devs and some restrictions covered
by a NDA). Once Snow Leopard will ship this Summer, I'm confident to
provide 64bit builds for Intel-based Macs pretty much on the same day.

Best regards,

Felix