[vlc-devel] Signing the VLC ActiveX control

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Aug 6 10:03:04 CEST 2009

   Hello,

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 21:04:39 -0400, Denver Gingerich <denver at ossguy.com>
wrote:
> I have been discussing the feasibility of using the VLC ActiveX
> control for playing Theora in Internet Explorer on the Theora list
> (see http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora/2009-July/002554.html )
> and several people have stated that the ActiveX control is just not
> reliable enough for production use:

The ActiveX plugin developer resigned from the project. On top of that, I
understand he was paid for his work. See also my opinion on the 7th July
article: http://www.remlab.net/ I think it all comes down to, how deep and
full are your pockets? And I'm not referring to the mere cost of a
certificate here.

> On the Theora list, Cristian Adam said he's had good experiences with
> the free Certum certificates:

Is this compatible with GPLv2? Are we even sure that VLC does not already
use (L)GPLv3 underlying libraries?

(...)
> I'd be interested in seeing the VLC ActiveX control become reliable
> and easy-to-use so we can solve the web video problem once and for
> all.

Yeah, sure we are always interested in VLC becoming more reliable. Patch
welcome. The only thing _we_ can do is review and merge the code...