[vlc-devel] RE : [RFC] Key press handling

Laurent Aimar fenrir at via.ecp.fr
Tue Aug 11 20:33:15 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > Also, what about mouse interaction. Up to now, hotkeys and mouse were
> > managed in different places. Wouldn't it be better to process them in
> > the same way ?
>
> In principle, we should do the same for mouse interaction. However, the
> video display needs to be involved to scale the screen coordinates into
> video coordinates. Also, mouse events are emitted on the video
> outpus/displays objects.
 The mouse events need go through all the video filters that are applied
to the video otherwise interactivity based on mouse events are broken (like
some video filters and DVD menus at least).
 For the same reasons, I would prefer to keep the keys event going through
the vout, it would allow some nice features in case we have Picture In Picture
or thing like that.

 Of course, I am not against having --vout-event to override this default
behaviour (as long as the user understand the features losses)

> Note that key presses are emitted on the libvlc instance. This is wrong: I
> guess they should be tied to an input. But it is not trivial to fix at all.
> Not only video outputs but also interfaces are emitting key events. Some of
> those events may occur when there is no input at all :(
 A vout can live outside an input so I am not sure that the right place is
at the input level.

 I don't think that the hotkeys thread was a bad thing, it was simple and
working except for a few corner cases.
 So I would like to have a list of problems with the old hotkeys interface ?
(That way we can search for a clean/better solution).

--
fenrir