[vlc-devel] Announce: brand new python bindings (ctypes-based)

jpd at videolan.org jpd at videolan.org
Thu Aug 13 15:55:56 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 01:38:16PM +0200, Olivier Aubert wrote:
> The compromise "for all functions that cannot return with an error" is
> however not that easy to sort out. How can you be sure that a function
> cannot return with an error? And anyway, if this was adopted, it would
> be necessary (from the bindings generation POV) to clearly indicate in
> prototypes the behaviour.

Yes, that's true, but doable. There are a few functions that upon
inspection turn out to not do anything at all with the exception passed
and then they can be converted. I expect this to be a rather small class
of mainly accessors, of the kind that ought to be static inline anyway.

Speaking of which, there are a few of those and I suspect you have to
special-case those for the python bindings in any case.