[vlc-devel] commit: Qt4: store input_item_t* in plitem and handle metadata in model ( Ilkka Ollakka )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Aug 14 17:17:28 CEST 2009

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:52:55 +0200, Jakob Leben <jakob.leben at gmail.com>
wrote:
> And yes, the qt view can ask any goddamn thing it wants, because we don't
> control it!!! Do you want to rewrite the whole view code? And also, for
> the view, the only way to see if a QModelIndex has a child is to go and
> try to get the QModelIndex of the child! It can't do otherwise!

And what are you suggesting?

Currently, we use playlist item IDs, which are weak handles, which are
buggy. There is a warranty that you won't get a dangling pointer from an
item ID. But if you save the item ID for later retrieval, you may later get
another item (due to ID wrap-around), or no ID at all. In fact, if things
wrap around, hell breaks loose because we may assign the same ID to more
than one item...