[vlc-devel] RE : Multiple instances and/or multiple players

brezhoneg1 brezhoneg1 at yahoo.fr
Mon Aug 17 23:39:32 CEST 2009

> > > I'm looking at the LibVLC API... and I'm wondering why we need to
> support
> > > both multiple instances per process _and_ multiple players per
> instance?
> >
> > We (the VLMC team) heavily use multiple players per instance. And we
> > could expect to have tens of players running during normal use case.
> > What would be the overhead of using only one player per instance ?
>
> Each instance has its own (copy of the) configuration and, until we
remove
> it,
> playlist thread. That's about it.
>

>From what I recall, multiple instances had a big problem, namely that a
new instance (libvlc_new) overwrote the config of the previously created
one. (meaning tricky debugging !)

On the plus side, multiple instances (one player per instance) meant
independent hotkeys and audio subsystems, whereas a single instance
(multiple  players) meant a real mess for these two subsystems.

Rgds
Erwan10