[vlc-devel] Can anyone tell me why this patch was done?

Besnard Jean-Baptiste jbbesnard at actech-innovation.com
Wed Aug 19 17:39:27 CEST 2009

Le mercredi 19 août 2009 à 14:36 +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont a écrit :

> I completely disagree. Implementing a private playlist is a lot simpler for
> a UI "front-end" to LibVLC, than synchronizing the UI with the LibVLC
> playlist. The countless playlist related remaining or recently fixed bugs
> in the various VLC built-in interfaces, and the complexity of the VLC
> playlist code proves the point.
I understand your point of view. By the way as far as the plugin is concerned medialist
does the trick quite well, it provides all the facilities to quickly
build a playlist in the UI.

> It is a LOT simpler to push the next item when the previous item ends. In
> fact, the reason why LibVLC provides a media list abstraction is to support
> service discovery and playlist file parsing. But it has failed miserably.

It wasn't so hard to get the subitems back :)
But playlists still have to be "unfolded" at plugin level when using a
medialist.

Jean-Baptiste BESNARD