[vlc-devel] Can anyone tell me why this patch was done?

Besnard Jean-Baptiste jbbesnard at actech-innovation.com
Wed Aug 19 18:55:16 CEST 2009

Le mercredi 19 août 2009 à 17:21 +0200, Pierre d'Herbemont a écrit :
> Why is the plugin exposing this playlist API in the first place? This
> seems to be something you'd better do with a bit of javascript, no?
> (Joining Remi's here).
>
> Pierre.
Hi,

Niles Bindel and I are trying to find a way to get back the items
contained by a playlist once it has been parsed in the plugin.

And we have come to different solutions.

 As he did I tried a few options. I wanted a supposed patch to be API
dependent to be more "stable" because the API is less exposed to
modifications. The media_list_player was interesting because it would
have delegated the playlist management (which is redundant in mozilla
and activeX). I think it would have also allowed a better management of
playlist unfolding. Moreover mozilla plugin // activeX has a
media_player and a media_list just as media_list_player does.

> If you have a reduced test case, I'll be happy to look at it.

  For the moment I mainly have been "hacking" through the code looking
for the simplest solution to #2862. Switching to media_list_player will
cause a bigger rewrite of the plugin. For now I don't have a functional
version to present but I can dig it a little more tomorrow. It has to be
tested after the major rewrite which has just been committed. I'll try
to present some test cases in the upcoming days.

Maybe Niles Bindel has some test case to present in a shorter delay.

Best Regards,

Jean-Baptiste BESNARD