[vlc-devel] playlist: flat / tree separation

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 16:19:59 CEST 2009

On Aug 21, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Jakob Leben wrote:

> In my opinion we could simply implement a "flatten down" function
> and wherever a flat representation of a tree of items is needed, it
> could be flattened in one step. And I certainly don't see a big
> profit in having a flat and a tree representation at the same time,
> as synchronizing them is quite a problem and even impossible in some
> cases (moving and adding items in flat structure doesn't have a
> uniquely matching and equivalent action in tree structure -
> regarding the item position). I also think that from an end-user's
> point of view, they either want a flat or a tree representation of a
> group of items and they can be offered the "flatten" operation
> through GUI as well.

For the media_list there is an other object called media_list_view.
You can have a flat view, or a hierarchical view. Sorted view are not
implemented though. This is conceptually and practically nice. And it
helps to correctly layers the different objects.

I think you should offer the same kind of abilities, that is having
multiple objects to represent the "viewed" playlist.

Pierre.