[vlc-devel] playlist: flat / tree separation

Jakob Leben jakob.leben at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 17:36:35 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Pierre d'Herbemont
<pdherbemont at gmail.com>wrote:

> Well, so the MVC model isn't conceptually nice? :-)

This does not concern the problem. MVC has nothing to do with what we are
discussing here. Read on:

I see the conceptual niceness of MVC elsewhere. MVC is nice just because of
separation of implementation of M and V and C. And for maintenance reasons.
And for encapsulation reasong. And so that you can have a Qt and Win and
What-not kind of view for the same model. But not a list and a tree kind of
view.

I mean, if we look at Qt4 MVC, you can feed both QListView and QTreeView
with a QAbstractItemModel implementation that holds tree structured data.
But what you will get in the list view is just the top level items of the
tree data, the rest under will be chopped off. So there is no problem to
translate the actions made on the displayed data. But it doesn't make sense
to have a flat representation of all the items, even the ones under the top
level parents.