[vlc-devel] playlist: flat / tree separation

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Aug 23 12:30:07 CEST 2009

Le dimanche 23 août 2009 12:27:50 Pierre d'Herbemont, vous avez écrit :
> End word, media might have sub media. We have a tree here. But that's
> at a deeper level. This would not necessarily be presented to the
> user, or not directly.

I am totally unconvinced by this argument, not to mention that it smells like
feature bloat and never-ending intricate problems.

A media might be hierarchical but said hierarchy is READ-ONLY data, so it
might as go to the SD or ML, rather than the playlist. By the way, a disc has
chapters and/or titles, but is a single playlist item. In fact, a unique input
is needed for "navigation" to work. Directories may be hierarchical, but if we
ever want to support dynamic filesystem updates we will have to move those to
SD infrastructure. Oh and over-engineered VLC-proprietary XSPF files are
hierarchical, but again this is read-only tree of input item.

I mean, the sorting and randomizing problem are moot in all those cases. You
will always first flaten those tree into the play*list*, for ordering and re-
ordering.

On a related note, media pre-parsing is best avoided (or at least cached). It
can overload the hardware (e.g. too much I/O) thus damaging the current
playback or general desktop experience. Also, it might waste the battery, e.g.
if you need to spin the laser discs drive or use the network connection on.

http://www.remlab.net/