[vlc-devel] commit: Don't treat strict-aliasing as error, this break Win32 compilation too much (Jean-Baptiste Kempf )

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Tue Aug 25 20:55:32 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 09:49:14PM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> Le mardi 25 août 2009 21:43:29 git version control, vous avez écrit :
> > vlc | branch: master | Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> | Tue Aug 25
> > 20:42:56 2009 +0200| [5ff67322e0237a3506fe4a48a7ac01dd4eda444d] |
> > committer: Jean-Baptiste Kempf
> >
> > Don't treat strict-aliasing as error, this break Win32 compilation too much
> >
> > All vouts are impacted, and dmo too.
>
> I disagree here. strict-aliasing violation can (and typically do) result in
> incorrect machine code. If *you* don't care about that, then don't disable
> warnings as errors. Otherwise, either fix the offending code, or add -fno-
> strict-aliasing to its compiler flags.

Well, turning a lot of warnings on and killing build on different archs
is not going to make them work, but just make different archs impossible
to compile.

Breaking other platforms compilation without even trying to fix them
before is not nice. VLC used to be cross-platform, but deliberating
breaking various platform will not help...

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/