[vlc-devel] rtp output and rate/pace control

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Aug 27 16:35:16 CEST 2009

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:34:53 +0200, Sébastien Escudier
<sebastien-devel at celeos.eu> wrote:
> The rtp output is incrementing i_out_pace_*no*control, so es_out set
> p_input->p->b_out_pace_control to false.

This is correct.

> Then, input refuse to change the rate.

That is expected.

> If I remove this limitation, the rtp stream output seems to work fine
with
> faster or lower rate.

It will explode if there is no pacing anywhere, e.g. if you read from a
file. Then VLC will try to send as fast as possible. The whole point of
b_out_pace_control is to determine whether the output is time dependent
(network output) or not (file output).

> So what should be changed to allow rate control in this case ?
> maybe input thread should not forbid rate change when b_out_pace_control
> is false ?

That seems like the logical way. But I am not sure if that won't break the
time stamping protocol semantics of RTP and SDP.