[vlc-devel] core playlist

Jakob Leben jakob.leben at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 13:25:44 CEST 2009

2009/8/27 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>

> Le mardi 25 août 2009 19:07:06 Jakob Leben, vous avez écrit :
> > The plan is therefore to implement
> > obtaining/accessing input items via SD and ML directly in every interface
> > that needs SD and ML.
>
> Yes *but* this does not specify whether each interfaces would have its own
> instance of SD and ML. It would be simpler, but in some cases it wouldn't
> work
> at all. In fact, the ML is a single database. And, say an MTP device can
> probably only be used by one entity at a time... So I suspect you still
> need
> to manage SD and ML models in the core.
>
> > Thus further changes to playlist functionality could be done much easier.
> > Eventually, playlist_t could store only a simple list of input items,
> that
> > would represent a flat actual "now playing" playlist, so this would not
> > even need playlist_item_t. Of course, every input item to be played
> should
> > then be inserted into this exact list, which I believe we agreed upon as
> > the preferred functionality.
>
> Yes but first the new SD and ML back-ends must be implemented.

I am working on a new SD API. Basically, It's just an extension of the
current API. It features a new struct to represent a SD item and allows for
traveling trees of such SD items, where a SD plugin does the actual info
retrieving. Every SD item can be queried for media - so that there can be
non-media (non-playable) items, to represent pure "directories" or groups of
subitems. If a SD item has media, an input_item_t can be obtained from it.
The idea is that ultimately we only get input_item_t that are actually
playable, and can thus be inserted into the (future) flat playlist.

The effect of this API is that SD system does not interact with playlist at
all. Interfaces shall then implement displaying the SD item tree to the
user, and only user's spontaneous action inserts a media obtained via SD
into the one and only playlist.